Google
 

Monday, August 20, 2007

Motoring Sl style!!!! Honk Honk!

You don't truly realize how messed up motorists in Sri Lanka are until you get behind the wheel. As a veteran traveler of the preferred public transport system in SL aka Buses I did know that well something was a miss :D. But last Sunday I truly gained a whole new insight in to the matter.
As a new driver (I got my license two months ago, but we all know how strict the driving test in the country is right WINK) I still have much to learn as my father says so often. In a break of tradition my dad decided to let me drive for a longer stretch than normal along the negambo road, Seeing that it was sunday and past 2:00pm i figured "what could go wrong" and prepared my self for nice stroll of a drive...boy was I wrong.
5 mins in to the drive out of no where a three wheeler materializes out of no where and cuts in front of me the innocent driver who was sticking to the speed limit. that miscreant has the gall to show me a certain finger and ask me where I was going(i of course could not frame suitable reply bcoz 1) my father was next to me 2) I was having kittens trying to break and avoid stalling the car). then there was the bus that decide to accelerate when i was trying to turn across the road(that one really made my blood run cold). i could go on foreve about my drive. bUt ultimately I came to several conclusions

  1. drivers in this country have no courtesy or patience to speak of
  2. everyone of them seems to have either not gone for proper instruction or have forgotten everything they were taught
  3. being an obedient driver is a sure fire way to hear people describe your family tree :D
  4. Driving for relaxation is out of the question(I'm going to go for a walk instead)
  5. I need to forget all my rules and just drive an dpray i dont hit anyone :D
  6. next time any one is driving and some idiot pasess you doin nasty hand movements and swearing it might be ME!!!

all in all people I think professionla racers should be trained in Sl coz we do not require any special facilities.. the current roads system coupled with the manic drivers is quite enough :d
to those who do drive happy Driving and Be drive Safe(hope you have Insurance )
And remeber when in doubt of in danger or basically to drive Honk! :D

3 comments:

P said...

and to add more,,, the bend at the extreme corner of ramakrishna road is named "marasinghe bend" after a brutal accident!! Dont know whoz the driver of tht Lancer car!!! im waiting for him to give some royal whackings! :-P

ROUGE-7 said...

oh pls.. tht driver was innocent his only crime if any was expecting the other drivers to follow common road rules :P

P said...

lyk what?? swaping lanes lyk he dd? btw why u gettng worried? u knw dt looser?!? ha? hehe..